- STEAMy happenings at SOM:
8th grade science students work with Dr. Victor Minces and Dr. Alex Khalil from UCSD to study wave forms through the science of music.
(lower right) Students in Ms. Uriarte's World Cultures test their Marshmallow Catapults in looking at the engineering advancements made during Medieval times.
- Buccaneers visit the UCSD NHERI large Outdoor shake table to learn from Dr. Lelli Van Den Einde how engineers test and design the structural integrity of buildings. Students also created their own earthquake simulations!
- Miss the morning announcements? Click here!
- Come learn English for free! Southwest Middle School library is offering free online classes to parents. Click here for more info!
- Hundreds of Parents and Students came out for our annual College and Career Night - "College: Making it Happen!" Special thanks goes out to the professionals from:
San Diego State University
for sharing their time, expertise and STEAM knowledge!
- Congratulations to our 2016-2017 Knowledge Bowl team on a great season!
- Buccaneers get "Enspired" through UCSD TESC sponsored fieldtrip!
- Buccaneers take on the Engineering design challenge of creating a capsule to protect an egg from a 4-story drop off UCSD's Engineering-II building! All of our eggs survived!
- Buccaneers spent the evening at the San Diego Opera in downtown San Diego!
- Buccaneers spent their day learning from scientists at Takeda during Friday's fieldtrip.
- Congratulations to our 2016 South Bay Football Champions!
- SOM Showcase video (click image to view video)
- 7th grade Southwest Middle School Science Students engineering Hot packs to help athletes.
- Congratulations SOM ! Gold Ribbon Award Winners
Southwest Middle School - Inspiring New Traditions
- Southwest Middle School STEAM Team presents at California League of Schools Technology Conference in Monterrey over Winter Break.