- Click on the image above to learn ways to safely enjoy the Solar Eclipse this Monday!
- Welcome back to school! For more info on our schedules and calendars, click on the image above!
- Friday's Pep Rally set the tone for an exciting and STEAMy new year at SOM! Welcome Buccaneers!
- This is what School-wide STEAM looks like at SOM! Students and Staff participated in our first ever School Wide STEAM Challenge this past Friday!
- Join your Buccaneer ohana in celebrating the spirit of Aloha!
- Congratulations SOM ! Gold Ribbon Award Winners
Southwest Middle School - Inspiring New Traditions
- So Cal Solar Sprinters, Marybel Villasenor, Rea Marabella and Marissa Moreno from team Yato took 3rd place overall for Originality and Construction! Over 50 schools from 3 counties participated in the May 20th competition. The winners of the So-Cal Solar sprint move on to a national competition in Orlando Florida in mid June. Great job to Team X, Team Taco and Team Yato; the 3 teams representing Southwest Middle! Excellent job ladies from Team Yato in bringing home recognition not only for our school, but for our district!
- Buccaneers celebrate the culture and music of our community with a Cinco de Mayo festival. Students showcased their talent, hard work and pride in this acoustic culmination. Great job Buccaneers for putting the "A" in our STEAM program and special thanks to our guests: US Congressman Juan Vargas, who emphasized the importance of celebrating one's heritage; Dr. Karen Janney, our superintendent of schools; Board member, Paula Hall and various other community members and media outlets. Photo credits: San Diego Union Tribune and Mr. Bill Walsh.
- STEAMy happenings at SOM:
8th grade science students work with Dr. Victor Minces and Dr. Alex Khalil from UCSD to study wave forms through the science of music.
(lower right) Students in Ms. Uriarte's World Cultures test their Marshmallow Catapults in looking at the engineering advancements made during Medieval times.
- Buccaneers visit the UCSD NHERI large Outdoor shake table to learn from Dr. Lelli Van Den Einde how engineers test and design the structural integrity of buildings. Students also created their own earthquake simulations!
- Congratulations to our 2016-2017 Knowledge Bowl team on a great season!
- Buccaneers take on the Engineering design challenge of creating a capsule to protect an egg from a 4-story drop off UCSD's Engineering-II building! All of our eggs survived!
- Buccaneers spent the evening at the San Diego Opera in downtown San Diego!
- Buccaneers spent their day learning from scientists at Takeda during Friday's fieldtrip.