The courses offered by the English department are designed to prepare our students to become successful, literate citizens in a global society. Students will develop their skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in English. The expectations for students in this course include the following:
· advance toward mastery of the Common Core State Standards for their grade level.
· prepare for their target of scoring proficient or higher on the Quarterly and End of Course Exam Benchmark Assessments and on the California Standards Test.
· develop SUHSD’s six skills in the rhetorical approach to reading and writing
· read and annotate for a variety of purposes.
· create a variety of summaries.
· create and analyze arguments.
· use and reference the words of others.
· create and use workplace documents.
· use academic language effectively.
· use state adopted curriculum materials as well as supplemental materials.
· read Accelerated Reader books and take computer tests on those books.
· organize and maintain their coursework in their Interactive Notebooks throughout the school year.
· present their Interactive Notebooks to their parents/guardians in the fall and spring during two after-school events